OBI Pharma Inc. founded in 2002, we have been focusing on the research and development of new drugs, challenging ourselves to fulfill unmet medical needs in hard-to-treat diseases with innovative and cost-effective products to improve people’s health and quality of life.
Our core philosophy is based on “whatever you take from the society; use them for the society” and sustainable development. We examine ourselves against the highest ethical standards and social responsibility. We not only aim to contribute to the overall health of mankind, but also promise to:
- Promote corporate governance and comply to laws and regulations
- OBI’s mission is the well being of the patients and all its research and development are primarily devoted to the interests of the patients and their safe drug use.
- Comply with the code of ethics during R&D process
- Maximize company value and promote shareholder benefits
- Provide fair employee benefits, healthy work environment, and career development
- Devote in social welfare
- Mindful of environmental changes, implement green office, and reduce carbon footprint
In order to promote corporate s sustainable development policies, OBI organized an internal task force led by company’s Chief Financial Officer and supported by Public Affairs and Human Resource and Administration and Finance department.
The task force team, based on environment, social responsibility, corporate governance (ESG), is allocated into five sub-groups: corporate governance and economics , employee welfare, social care, environmental sustainability, and product services. Through the teamwork, OBI promotes the following policies while continuing to promote the concept of corporate sustainability and to identify and analyze sustainable development issues.
- OBI Pharma (“The Company”) has set up “The Code of Corporate Social Responsibility” as the basis for implementing the corporate sustainable development policy, and will revise relevant policies and guidelines in response to developmental needs.
- By adopting “honesty, integrity, and social responsibility” as the core values, the Company’s Board of Directors is responsible for guiding, supervising, and evaluating the effective operation of the Company’s management team; not only putting corporate governance into practice but also conducting check and balance with the highest ethical standard. In accordance with the law, the “The Audit Committee” and “The Remuneration Committee” were set up under the jurisdiction of Board of Directors to supervise the company’s professional functions, and to implement internal control systems through audits. Externally, the Committees seek financial transparency and timely disclosure of important information to protect the rights and interests of investors.
- In order to respect the rights and interests of stakeholders, the team’s primary task is to identify the company’s stakeholders and set up an “Investors” section on the Company’s official website. Through adequate communication channels, the team seeks to understand the reasonable expectations and needs of the stakeholders while also responding appropriately to their concerns about sustainable development issues.
- We are a biopharma company. Current product pipeline is in research or clinical development without mass production. We continue to implement programs on energy conservation, recycling, reducing the use of paper and disposable cups—for energy conservation and waste reduction.
- Due to the nature of biotechnology operation, a safety committee and relevant waste disposal and recycling policies are in place to comply with environmental regulations.
- At the present stage, the company does not involve in any commercial production, thus do not produce greenhouse gases resulted from production and manufacturing. However, we are actively involved in discussions on Climate change impacts, reducing carbon footprint and greenhouse gases.
In terms of climate change, the specific impact on the company’s business is most likely to occur when there are disruptions or shortages in the supply of trial materials and pharmaceutical materials, which affects both the development and testing process. Therefore, the Company’s response strategy includes supply risks assessment during suppliers selections and provision for alternative suppliers. Furthermore, the R&D and manufacturing processes are being re-examined internally, and contract manufacturing is being strategically reduced to maximize the proportion of in-house manufacturing.
In order to cope with the interruption of power caused by abnormal weather, which will disrupt experiments, specimen and analysis, thereby affecting the progress and quality of research and development work, the laboratories are equipped with uninterrupted power facilities and constant temperature equipment, which can maintain unaffected power supply in the short term.
The Company actively pays attention to the issues of energy saving and carbon reduction and greenhouse gas reduction, controls the temperature of air-conditioner in summer, pursues energy saving and carbon reduction in the office, saves water and electricity consumption; so as to reduce the operation energy consumption in life, office and laboratory. Besides, the Company improves manufacturing method, process and production management to take measures to mitigate pollution incident, and makes effective utilization of energy to achieve the purpose of energy saving and carbon reduction.
- Bridge the industry with academia
Talent development is one of the most important assets for biotechnology industry. OBI has implemented mid/long-term development plan for cultivating biotechnology professionals, in hope to foster new talents. OBI is also actively engaged in campus-based career fairs, include providing summer internship opportunities. We also have close relationship with academic and educational institutions. Students, job-seeking youth, and social elites may enter corporate job markets through the participation of such related activities. The long-term goal is to continue the development of biotechnology industry by cultivating young professionals.
- Participate in public associations, support academic, and promote industrial and social welfare
The company is heavily involved in the overall development of the biotechnology industry. OBI actively supports, participates in and sponsors activities organized by professional and academic associations. We provide the warmest hospitality to host academic group visits and biotechnology camps. OBI encourage the young generation who are interested in biotechnology to cultivate themselves as talents for the industry.
In terms of social welfare, OBI Pharma, along with co-locating Intel (Taiwan) and HSBC Bank (Taiwan) in the City Link building, will co-host blood donation activities. In 2020. owing to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, only one blood donation activity was held with 15 participants from OBI Pharma. In the same year, Forestry Bureau’s Taitung Forest District Office, organized a trail conservation program for which it invited each hiker to carry 1kg of soil to a designated location along Taitung County’s Jiaming Lake National Trail to fill eroded gullies that have formed. More than ten people from OBI Pharma Mountaineering Club participated in the program. In order to care for school children in rural areas and disadvantaged groups, the Company has also taken part in charity events held by its downstream supplier – TIU GROUP, for sponsoring parents and children from Datong Children’s House to visit Pushin Ranch in a day trip, and donating materials to jointly care for social welfare groups.
In 2020, the Company has contributed to social welfare through donations and sponsorships to the sum of NT$880,000.
- Support patient groups
OBI is a onco-therapeutic development company with diverse pipeline. On the basis of care, we have always maintained close contact with patient groups, listened to patients’ heartfelt messages, actively engaged in fulfilling the needs of patients, and involved in patient workshops and sessions.OBI has maintained good relationship with Taiwan Breast Cancer Association (TBCA), the largest breast cancer patient group in Taiwan. As a co-organizer, OBI participated at the 2020 International Breast Cancer Prevention and Control Month. On October 16, self-organized employees volunteered at the 2020 Pink Ribbon Lighting Event to assist patients in testing their physical fitness, and taking photos of the event, OBI Pharma donated a total amount of NT$100,000 to support patient groups in 2020.
- Promote employee-employer relationship
A. By taking “Innovation, Caring, Respect, Integrity, Team Work” as the core corporate philosophy, the Company considers employees as its co-entrepreneurial partners. In addition to emphasizing frank communication and maintaining good labor-management relations, the company also promises to create a happy workplace:
a. Employee benefits include labor insurance, health insurance, group insurance, annual physical examination, holiday/birthday bonuses, further education allowance, child care allowance, annual outing, and employee stock options, etc.
b. Quarterly employer-employee meeting to ensure employees’ legal rights are not breached. Organize employee welfare committee.
c. Hold employees’ friendship activity etc. irregularly, which is good for the physical and mental development of employees.
d. Formulate association establishment measures, encourage employees to spontaneously establish art and literature, and leisure associations to hold activities regularly, initiate employees to enjoy the work, stay healthy and exercise the mind and body to improve the cohesion.
B. Taking care of employees’ physical and mental health
According to the “Regulations Governing the Labor Health Protection”, the Company has recruited a full-time nurse to be responsible for employees’ annual health checkups and health consultation services. Health workshops are also held regularly to raise the employees’ awareness of physical health, mental health, and healthcare, so as to establish good living habits, implement self-health management, and review the maintenance of health in the workplace.
In response to the global COVID-19 pandemic ravaging the world in 2020, the company has promptly and thoroughly implemented body temperature monitoring, strict mask rules, COVID-19 prevention education, and care for the health of employees.
C. Workplace safety.
a. OBI complies with Labor Safety and Health Law. On the basis of relevant laws and regulations,‘Code of Conduct on Labor Safety’ outlines the roles and responsibilities of the Company.
b. Laboratory and office safety drill is conducted at least twice a year.
c. As for the long-term development in the future, although the Company’s products are currently in the stage of research and development and have not yet entered the production phase, factory facilities and environmental protection are being planned from the very beginning by establishing the “Safety and Health Management Group” to perform safety and health inspections. An “Emergency Response Team” is also set up to deal with emergencies, clearly dividing the powers and responsibilities of management, command, and supervision to maintain the safety of laboratories and offices, and to strictly manage industrial waste, biohazard waste, and chemicals.
D. Education & Training
By formulating the “Practices Governing the Management of Education and Training”, the Company not only organizes education & training programs and continuing education for the in-service employees, but also provides channels for employees to participate in seminars held domestically and abroad for continuing education. This way, the employees are encouraged to earn professional certificates, enrich themselves, improve their core capabilities, and face their work challenges with a positive attitude.
E. Open door policy to Human Resources, Department managers, Chief Executive Officer allow complains where employees will be kept anonymous for privacy reasons.
F. By setting up two-way communication channels such as complaint mailboxes and electronic newsletters, the company encourages employees to raise their questions and suggestions in a two-way communication.
G. Following labor law, OBI retirement package includes:
a. Employee pension: Match 6% of employees’ earning to the individual retirement account
b. Retirement qualification: following current labor law
c. Numbers of retired employees in 2020: None.
- Product responsibility
Although OBI’s products are still in the R&D and clinical phase, we will take on customer related services and product responsibility once commercialized:
A. The company ensures that product labeling and marketing are in compliance with relevant regulations.
B. Suppliers are evaluated and before collaboration and/or qualified as vendors to OBI.
C. Before entering a partnership deal, OBI is responsible to provide adequate information on the company’s integrity policy, reasonable quotation, best quality, and service, in order to enhance corporate social responsibility together.
- Vendor relationship.
D. By setting up “Supplier Assessment & Management” and “Vendor Performance Evaluation”, OBI Pharma has strict criteria and procedures for selecting the suppliers to ensure that the outsource manufactured products meet the company and statutory requirements and that the suppliers have the ability to provide a steady source of raw materials, products, and services that meet the specifications.
E. In order to pursue the development, coexistence, and common prosperity of the biotech industry in Taiwan, OBI Pharma’s selection of outsourced manufacturers is based on policy considerations that prioritize local manufacturers. This will facilitate biotech and new pharmaceutical industry to take root in Taiwan while also reducing the carbon emissions of international shipments and the risk of supply interruption.
- Disclose corporate social responsibilities in Annual Reports and ESG Reports. Sponsorship and/or participation in community activities are make known to the public through public media or other means of communication.
- Each year, the Company prepares an ESG report to be published on the company’s official website. In future, the Company will continue to fulfill its corporate social responsibility by actively promoting corporate governance and sustainable development, promoting social welfare and maintaining good labor-management relations and fulfilling corporate citizenship responsibilities in the pursuit of environmental and earth’s sustainability.